Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Rusty Sharks

The Rusty Sharks

Last night was the inaugural game of our new team The Rusty Sharks. Formed from the former field hockey faction of my alma mater (Simmons College) we played very well for not-having-played-in-a-long-time.

Most of the team were my fellow college mates. Shanna and Steph and Teressa Brown and Caitlyn and Katie C. of course. This whole thing was her idea.


I'm in the blue bandanna

Katie and I were both goalies in college and I never learned the rules of the game. I know some basics (like you can only hit the ball with the flat side of the stick) but not much else. There are no goalies allowed in this league so Katie and I were totally winging it; crouching and scooting around the field. I think we did pretty well considering.



It was great to catch up with everybody. Afterward we went to a little bar where we had the whole place to ourselves and split a pitcher (or two) of Oktoberfest swapping stories from the good old days. (The fact that everyone knew I went to my junior prom in a purple dress shocked me. It turns out I was passing the picture around for reasons I cannot now fathom.)



************************

In arty news my first anniversary of launching into comics is coming up in two weeks.

I will have a cupcake!

The APE show in sunny San Francisco happens at the end of next week.

You'll remember that is the show where I debuted Duck! A comic, the PRISM grant winning comic and my first foray into sequential story telling.

That was followed up by the comic That Time I Turned 30 in Greece, an autobio gig chronicling my adventures overseas.

If you'd like to help fund my little San Fran trip you can order both those books right away.

Or! If you've already got a copy you can simply donate to the traveling artist in any amount you'd like.

In the meantime I am halfway through lettering the newest Boston Marathon story and ought to get back to it before I run out of time.

GO SHARKS!

No comments: